Tuesday 30 December 2014

A prayer read at Brand Inglis’ funeral

A prayer read at Brand Inglis’ funeral

Before he became ill, Brand was a member of our congregation and much loved.
"My personal feeling on my own Death is not one of sadness or melancholy, though I shall be sorry not to belong any more on this plane, with its marvellous pleasure, both mental and physical; its wonderful friendships and profound loves; its tactile delights; its endless musical vocabulary and its boundless beauties for the eye. Nonetheless, I look upon Death as a new beginning, a fresh adventure and yet another excitement.
So with this in mind, my funeral service this morning will be, largely, that of my favourite service, Mattins or Morning Prayer, to see me off on a new day and to set me on my new path with the sound of, amongst others, Stanford’s rattling fine setting of the Te Deum in B Flat and to close with his beautiful setting of Psalm 150. 
With the glorious sound of theses still ringing in my ears, how can I have, on this unfamiliar road, on this unknown pilgrimage, anything other than a flying start, with renewed strength, vigour and encouragement?
O Lord, in thee have I trusted: let me never be confounded."

No comments:

Post a Comment